Sunday, May 11, 2008

Rust Never Spins

As a big Neil Young fan I was happy to see that he has had a spider named after him. Presumably there was no direct connection between Mr. Young and the method by which these particular spiders are distinguished.

The article also noted that Roy Orbison and his wife have a beetle named after them. As an Orbison fan who always has regretted missing one of his last shows (I was living in Boston at the time and was just getting into his music), I appreciate the gesture. I imagine this beetle has a superlative tenor-to-high-soprano voice and has light-sensitive eyes.

1 comment:

jjv said...

I was a bit miffed that the Neil Young spider was discovered in Jefferson County, Alabama. To paraphraase a musician more my style "Neil Young may remember, a southern spider don't need him anyway."