Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Friend Fernando, Take A Chance on Me.

The sea in which I swim contains a large group of ABBA fans (EMM call your office). Say the words out loud: Swedish, 1970's Pop band. Sounds horrible doesn't it? Then why does everybody know the words to about a half-dozen of their songs? The article linked in the title explains some of it. (And this movie pairs Colin Firth with Abba so gentlemen get a testosterone shot if you must go because the estrogen generated in the room from that combination would make John Wayne grow breasts).

One line from the article stands out: "It takes a big man to admit he likes ABBA."

And here is a big man I did not expect to fess up:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/06/john-mccain-abb.html

Here is the comment:

Granted, [McCain] was a little defensive: "Nobody likes them, but they sold more records than anybody in the history of the world, including The Beatles. But everybody hates them. You’re a no-class guy if you like ABBA. Why does everybody go see ‘Mamma Mia?’ Hypocrisy! Rank hypocrisy! I’m not embarrassed to say I like ABBA, ‘Dancing Queen.’” McCain said. I can not imagine what demographic he thinks he's appealing to here.

I can only assume he likes the them of French defeat in "Waterloo" and Fernando is looking for "Comprehensive Immigration Reform."

2 comments:

EMM said...

I was thinking of ABBA just the other day...I was enjoying snacks and drinks in the new "House of Sweden" (the new Swedish embassay is stunning - if you get a chance, go). Bonus was seeing the rainbow over the Kennedy Center after Tim Russert's memorial service (I'd bet he liked ABBA too). I've already rallied the girls for the opening weekend of Mama Mia. For those of you with children, please plan to be home or arrange for a sitter. By the way, for as much as I love Colin Firth in P&P...I'd take Harrison Ford's "Indy" over him any day...now there's a "dork" who knows how to kick ass (2 post comments in 1). Colin fights like a girl (watch Bridget Jones if you need proof). God, I hope I don't get kicked out of the fan club...still love him, flaws and all.

Anonymous said...

If you haven't already, do check out Betty's post on this (and my comment ; ).

It's going to be an ABBA-solutely fabulous summer, baby! Colin, Pierce, and ABBA?! Woohoo.