Monday, September 08, 2008

Oh my God, I sound like my mother...

Who would have thought, at 42 without any children, I'd be saying that to myself? The last 2 weeks have been a bit rough, as my mom fell while visiting me and shattered her tibia plateau (the bone below your knee joint). Thankfully, she's in rehab and working hard to be mobile enough to get back home .

"No, I'm sorry, she can't talk to you right now." I had to tell her friends clamoring to talk with her during week one...they thought I was being mean. Nope, morphine followed by intubation pre/post surgery don't allow for a lot of phone talk. It was very natural to take on the protective role without any reservations or guilt.

After telling my mom I would not get her an over the counter med without passing it through her nurse, she gave me a snotty "that's fine, I'll just see you tomorrow". I thought to myself "what a brat" and then realized she probably said that at least a gazillion times about me through the years!

And now, as she's recuperating and we're planning the next stage of this journey, telling her "don't worry, we'll take care of it" allows me to in a very small way take care of my mom, who with unconditional love and support has helped to make me the person I am today.

Before we get too sentimental...I have to ask if I was a horrible kid that while when she was sedated I had the Ramones go through my head and now that she's in rehab, Amy Winehouse?

She found it amusing that I was going to tell people we were fighting over a bottle of liquor and in the struggle, she fell down the stairs and that she's in rehab for alcohol and not for the aforementioned shattered tibia plateau. Much more appropriate for OK or US Weekly.

Thanks to my wonderful friends for their support and good thoughts.

1 comment:

Dave S. said...

At least when you tried to make her go to rehab she said "Yes, yes, yes."

Your experience is similar to the several times a week I make a note to apologize to my parents for behaving like my kids when I was a kid.

We wish her a speedy recovery!