Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Montalban and McGoohan, RIP

I was going to note the passing of Ricardo Montalban (obit here) but today also marks the passing of Patrick McGoohan (obit here).

Montalban is best known for his work on Fantasy Island and for his scenery-chewing performance in his reprise of Khan in Star Trek II. (He was forced to pull out some, but not all, of the stops in his original appearance in the Star Trek episode "Space Seed.") Although they do not realize it, my kids have also been exposed to him via his voiceover work as the Chocolate Tree and the Wizard in episodes of Dora the Explorer.

McGoohan, of course, is best known for his creative and acting roles in The Prisoner, of which I have seen far too little.

3 comments:

EMM said...

My apologies (I can't help myself), will the casket be lined in rich corinthian leather?

Fantasy Island was a Saturday night staple for me while babysitting.

RIP Mr. Roarke.

jjv said...

I am appalled by two things. His first Obits did not mention Khan. Further, Fantasy Island started with a "most dangerous game" motif and was totally cool, yet it did not run as long as Love Boat hwich premiered with it if memory serves. Montalban was also a devout and loyal Catholic throughout his life.

I'm not laughing at the superior intellect tonight.



Finally, I know all geeks my age are supposed to love the Prisoner and Dr. Who. I don't but R.I.P.

J. said...

I knew I should have posted my adieu to Montalban last night!!! Had it all loaded and everything. But you beat me to it, Dave. DAAAAAAAVE! (My obit is way more fun than the NYT's, btw, and will go up shortly.) Also read about the passing of Number Six. Didn't realize "The Prisoner" was only on one season.

Btw, two-hour school delay here. But still had to get up at six. UGH.