Friday, August 07, 2009

Don't You Forget About Me

I noted in the WSJ today that John Hughes died at the age of 59. A heart attack while he was walking with his family. Guys my age have seen Ferris on his day of rest dozens of times by now. Of course we feel more like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles now. I hate to say it but I bet, as a percentage of a director's work, I have seen a higher percentage of his than just about any other director. Weird Science holds up better than the "Breakfast Club" from which the title is taken but overall even the date movies were pretty good.

He just stopped making movies ten years ago it seemed. Spent time with his wife of more than 30 years, his kids, and remained, stunningly, a Republican.

Ben Stein-who he made famous forever-writes a moving piece on him above.

1 comment:

EMM said...

While enjoying my lunch at Lake George today, Echo & The Bunnymen's Bring on the Dancing Horses came over the speakers. I said a silent toast and raised my glass to John Hughes.

The music selected for his "brat pack" movies was an amazing compilation.