Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pasty White Folks Battle It Out for Third

But first, some background.

Laura has rocketed through the Twilight novels over the past few weeks, although her embarrassment over same was enough that she resorted to reading the first few while on a business trip to Costa Rica. Soon enough, though, she broke down, and even got me to enable her obsession by picking up the fourth book at the Arlington Public Library. She was 52nd in line for it, although this pales in comparison to her 113th position in line for the third book, which she neatly circumvented by purchasing the book outright (though not, to her credit, from the library itself).

Coincidentally we both joined Goodreads a while back, although as my reading of late has been limited to New Yorker and Model Railroader I have not had much to contribute. This is not to say that I do not have trenchant observations to make on either Malcolm Gladwell's pieces or "A Prototype You Can Model."

To get somewhat closer to the point, Laura sent me this link to Goodreads' version of The Best Books Ever, promising that I would be furious and drawing particular attention to the #4 book on the list, which by a stunning coincidence is Twilight. I actually have no problem with this, as the list is a not unexpected conglomeration of any number of books of wildly varying quality, and readers at least had the good sense to keep Ayn Rand out of the top fifty. No, what struck me was that the #3 book, just behind Pride and Prejudice (hold the zombies) and To Kill a Mockingbird, was the Book of Mormon, which I was amused to note was credited to Joseph Smith as "translator." Presumably the numbers for Twilight will increase overnight, but for the moment the Latter-Day Saints have the lead over the Latter-Day Vampires.

On a completely unrelated note, this post is the eight-hundredth to grace (?) this blog. Hooray for us!

Update 8/12/2009: In comments to the list, a reader supports the Book of Mormon's inclusion in and position on the list by noting that "literally hundreds have died because of that book." To which I reply: Pikers. Sure, there were schisms and occasional violence as the Mormons fled west from Palmyra, NY (very near my old stomping grounds) to Utah, but unless you can pull something off on the level of two fingers versus three for crossing oneself, and let's not even mention these, take a number.

5 comments:

J. said...

Great post, Dave. I'm still smiling. I was a HUGE Anne Rice fan, back in the day, but have yet to pick up the "Twilight" books. Maybe I should, though. My 11-year-old daughter and her friends are very into them, as are their moms, and can't wait for the second movie.

Also thanks for the link to Goodreads. Am always looking for the next good read. (Just finished Jen Lancaster's second book, "Bright Lights, Big Ass," which is the follow up to "Bitter Is the New Black," both of which are MUST reads for women, and am now reading "The Virgin's Lover" by Philippa Gregory.)

EMM said...

My bookclub's pick last month was Twilight. I devoured all 4 books in a week (including reading #2 and #3 in one sitting each). Laura should not be embarrassed, all the cool chicks are part of the tween sensation.

J, get on the tween bandwagon!!! It will be fun for you and the bambina (book 4 has the most gore). I read the Virgin's Lover...gotta love the bodice rippers ;).

Dave, thanks for the great links.

My latest conquest will be The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

Powaqqatsi said...

I was an Anne Rice fan back when I lived in New Orleans (90-96) as much for The Vampire Lestat Trilogy being set there as anything but I gave up on her after The Mummy. My twins have all read the Twilight books with the same zeal they once reserved for Harry Potter. I have not read them but lately I get my Vampire fix watching True Blood (in it's 2nd season & based on yet another vampire book series).

I have never breached the Book of Mormon but did recently enjoy reading Under The Banner Of Heaven a few months back.

J. said...

So, when are we starting the P4500 book club? : )

"The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" has been on my "to read" for a while, EMM. Let me know how you like it.

Btw, it would be interesting to know what the top books are on similar sites in other countries. I hear the Koran is very popular in Saudi Arabia.

Verification word: ushoon

God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Books during baseball season? Crazy talk, I tell you!

Dave P.