Tuesday, February 15, 2011

But Did He Get the Squirrel? This is Important.

The squirrels in Malaysia appear to have gained a powerful ally, according to this account of a man who was attacked by a tiger while aiming a blowpipe at a squirrel. (JWT, you check MoCo's laws and I'll check Arlington's - there must be a loophole!)

According to a local wildlife official:
The tiger was probably hunting for prey and mistook Tambun for a mammal.
Unless there is a translation issue, I'd say the tiger was absolutely correct in his identification.

Over the past couple of months we have had a Sharp-shinned Hawk case our birdfeeders from the comfort of our fence, and I have considered ways to encourage it to punch above its weight* and go after a squirrel. Next time I wish for a larger predator, I guess I'll count my blessings.

*Money quote from that link:
A small hawk, the Sharp-shinned Hawk is a regular visitor to bird feeders, where it eats birds, not seed.

No comments: