Monday, April 18, 2011

To the Barricades! (Remembering that you can't spell Barricade without Bar)

Today Massachusetts and Wisconsin (?) celebrate my second-favorite "local" holiday. I speak of course, of Patriots' Day. (My favorite such observance is noted, more or less, here.)

Friend and fellow blogger J contributes this patriotic gem, updated for today's sensibilities. Important as Paul Revere was to the cause of American freedom, it should be noted that he had a substantially better posthumous publicist.

Fittingly, the Sox were allowed to win today, and I would also like to take this moment for congratulating our own Washington Nationals on 1) their sweep of the Brewers and 2) inching above .500 for the first time since May of last year! "Enjoy the next month" is the takeaway from that, I suppose.

2 comments:

EMM said...

Yay Nationals! I'm going to take this season one series at a time.

Last Sunday (the 10th), also had happy results...the Nats beat the Mets and the Red Sox beat the Yankees. Nope, don't root for NY Baseball...only Football.

J. said...

Thanks for the shout out, Dave. A tip of my tricorn to you. Very funny post. (The line "Fittingly, the Sox were allowed to win today" totally cracked me up. If only more teams would allow the Mets to win. Curse you, Washington Nationals!)

Just one technical note: Patriots' Day is also celebrated (?) in Maine, where it is known as Patriot's Day, per Wikipedia.