Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Surely, the Best of Times

I was remiss/overtaken by real life in not noting Monday's 30th anniversary of the release of Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan. Fortunately I follow Leonard Nimoy on Twitter or I would have forgotten altogether.

The first time I saw it was in my hometown of Lyons, NY, at the Ohmann Theater. We knew most of the people who worked there - hell, we were in the same classes at school - so we got to stay in our seats and watch the second screening for free.

As the years passed and the odd-even quality of the sequels ground inexorably onward, it became apparent that we had not paid for the second viewing of something special. The combination of Olympian scenery-chewing and a genuinely exciting pace (damn the logical inconsistencies, full speed ahead!) makes it highly re-watchable. For a while in the 90s I would sometimes watch it directly after watching my VHS copy of Space Seed, never failing to observe that desert-planet living had really taken its toll on Joachim.

As always, we must give the last word to Admiral James T. Kirk, bracketed by what passed for subtle acting by Sr. Montalban:

No comments: