Wednesday, January 21, 2009

In Vino Veritas

When Dave and I were in college, the Baby Boom having aged enough not to care and to have started families, the drinking age began to be raised all over the country state by state. This was done by the Federal Highway Act which required states to raise the drinking age to 21 to get federal funds for highways. Louisiana was the last to fall. There were various "grandfather schemes" and rolling age adjustments that sent some scurring across the NY, NJ, Connecticut borders.

Hamilton College, concerned about legal issues and social life, convened "The Alcohol Policy Committee." I was voted on to that committee as an original and permanent member. Sober judgement counts for something. Dean Jervis, the College head of the Committee told stories of her youth at U. Mass. where folks would knock back vodka and whisky shots and then go out to "dry" parties. This caused me 1) to think better of her and 2) see the future of college drinking. I pressed very hard for a policy of minimum college involvement and policing consistent with minimum liability. To give you some idea of how the world has changed, in my senior week, the College provided a Matt's Beer Truck with spigots on the side that roamed around the campus during portions of senior week. Not leaving the Hill to drink was probably one of the great lifesavers of that time. I did my bit my for drinking policies for free men and left for law school.

I returned to the Hill frequently in the next three years and each time the knot tightened and the U.Mass of the 1950's described by Dean Jervis encroached ever further. I did not return to the College for five years following my fifth reunion. There, even after school was over for the year, I was invited by students back to the dorms for the current drinking environment. Sure enough no beer, no wine, high proof horrible whisky in plastic jugs (so bad I could not get down more than two glasses even with ice) and a rapid fire delivery so that the buzz lasted to the dancing.

This is not America. Obama Messiah, we pray thee, turn the Federal Highway Act into wine.

4 comments:

Dave S. said...

It would be much more appropriate to turn the FHA into a beer truck.

J. said...

I don't believe it. It's Scott the Tipster! Now he's going after JJV!

Having lived in THREE dry towns, I have gotten used to drinking Moonshine. If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for today's whippersnappers. Let 'em drink Nyquil!

EMM said...

Thank God for Canada! NY did not grandfather. I was "legal" for about 6 months when I turned 19.

I was forced to commit crimes because of the crappy no grandfathering rule. I promise to fully disclose all prior to being confirmed the Junior Senator from the Great State of NY!

Anonymous said...

Iowa was 19 when I was a freshman. Not that any of the 33 bars in a town of 8,000 cared. Wisconsin was still 18. Oddly enough, when we were legal, the quality of swill did not increase.

Dave P.