Tuesday, July 07, 2009

(Self) Welcome Back, and Welcome

I have returned from a whirlwind vacation in Missouri. Hard to believe that 24 hours ago my family and I (along with literally hundreds of others) were stampeding toward the parking lot trams at Silver Dollar City, to make our way from Branson back to a hotel near the Kansas City airport. (The cheerful advice from the cheerful yet temporarily overwhelmed tram attendants: "Y'all don't run over no kids, now.")

My only other observation on Missouri for the moment is that its state motto appears to be a shortening of "Show Me Your Brights at Night No Matter Whether I've Just Passed You or If You're Coming Toward Me." The tradeoff is impossibly straight roads on which you can drive like my version of a maniac. Before the peanut gallery kicks in, allow me to state that I would have left the 62 MPH Bandit in the dust.

More importantly, I would like to extend a laurel wreath and hearty handshake to our new blogger, JWT, who picked an otherwise slow news weekend to officially join the masthead. My repeated invitations to him may have been too clever by half, as I think half of my recent output was based on his forwarded emails.

Quick Update: I forgot to remind JWT that he only needs to post twice more to pass JCF, this blog's equivalent of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, though, to be fair, there have been no confirmed sightings of JCF in Cuba.

4 comments:

Powaqqatsi said...

I'm curious, did you get to try any Kansas City Beef ribs or other Kansas city BBQ? BBQ is regional and Kansas city is one area that is quite famous for it's take on BBQ. I've never tried it but was curious if you had while there.

Dave S. said...

No BBQ on this trip, but I had it many years ago on a previous trip to KC and it was quite good. Fried chicken was the primary protein source this time around and it was yummy.

Recall that Laura is a vegetarian so I tend not to drag her to steakhouses, BBQ joints etc.

Verification word "botcho" which is what could happen if your BBQ goes bad.

old H-O guy said...

Vacation is Ovah.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/rawfile/2009/06/trains_10c.jpg

While this image is not germane to the topic I wanted to share it with Dave S. as a potential make-over once his layout is complete.

Dave S. said...

OK, I am a little frightened here. That is my pierced/bearded/bespectacled/HO-modeling/Western RR fan stunt double. There are some late nights for which I cannot completely account, but still...

Oh, and vacation starts up again in another week when we head to Old Forge. Ha!