Thursday, December 27, 2012

One Little Plastic Block to Obsess Them All

Bryan and I popped Lego Lord of the Rings for Wii into the machine today to give it a go. It was tough sledding even though Bryan ended up as Elendil and his shiny sword Narsil in the intro battle at Mount Doom (I got Elrond whose only apparent power is, um, nothing.) As we were both males we did not bother with reading any of the instructions, so that's probably part of the problem. The other part was that despite being a seven-year-old boy, Bryan has an unusual and not necessarily unwelcome respect for age restrictions on toys and games. His first question, as waves of Orcs ran us down repeatedly, was "What is this, PG-13 or something?" He then checked the box, discovered it was for kids 10 and up (I qualified, barely), then asked Fiona if she would play with me instead, once she turns ten. We then went back to Mario Cart which is slightly more intuitive and does not have to be played in a room upon which a second darkness has fallen.

I think I will need to return to this solo, then assist Bryan through the tough parts. I owe it to him from his holding of my hand through Lego Star Wars for Wii, in which I stand behind him with a blaster while his Obi-Wan Kenobi does the heavy lifting via lightsaber.

1 comment:

jjv said...

Did he chastize you for lax parenting? My eldest always checks whether its "e" for everyone "even old guys" Dad.