Thursday, February 14, 2013

All I Ask is a Tall Ship, and a Star to Steer Her By, and Maybe Working Engines and Toilets

In the flotsam and jetsam that is my post backlog are a number of stories concerning watercraft that have washed upon my shores. Let me pick my way gingerly through them and see what I can salvage.

First up of course is the continuing saga of the disabled differently navigable Carnival Cruise liner Triumph. I suspect this is not what Kathie Lee Gifford had in mind when she sang "If they could see me now"... You know things are bad when people are begging to be taken to Eunice, Louisiana. On the other hand, crawfish etouffee -- mmmmm...

In their weakened state and desperation to avoid a repetition of their experience, passengers may make a mistaken yet understandable beeline for this book, which boasts one of the most consistently snarky/sarcastic collection of reviews I have seen. (h/t Christian Ready) Good thing the Isola del Giglio can't talk, although Ben and JLo must have known it was only a matter of time before disaster struck an island with that name.

Finally, although we have witnessed the perils of large ships, it is clear that these guys, to coin a phrase, needed a bigger boat. Look at this picture, ignore the effect of perspective, and then tell me that fish isn't a) PSYCHED and b) drawing a bead on the guy on deck.


I am pleased to report that there were no casualties of any species from this last maritime mishap.

No comments: