Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Neocons, Paleocons and James Bond.

I got a big kick out of this conflict of views on who is the best James Bond between Jonah Goldberg and Taki Theodorscopulos (Just "Taki" usually). http://spectator.org/articles/58134/which-actor-portrays-best-james-bond As it happens, I have read both of them for years and had drinks with both; Jonah at the various NRO get togethers and talks now and again and Taki in a memorable evening (for me) in the long closed "Z" club in D.C. The reason this conflict of views is so funny is that each man plays to his strengths and does not break character. Jonah, nerdy, knowledgeable and pop culture friendly and savy. Taki, worldly, old world, wealthy and a ranconteur who knows everybody of a certain set and despairs of modern mores. The young, middle-class, neocon and the old, wealthy, paleocon on James Bond. Jonah thinks Daniel Craig is a better actor than Sean Connery and I agree. But James Bond does not require an actor, he requires an icon. That is why, for all Craig has done with the franchise, I side with Taki and his personal take. Bond is bigger than life and so is Connery. I spend so little time in Gstaad however that I have no personal acquaintence with either Sir Sean or Sir Roger. Next week George Will is going to inform us why George Lazenby is the truly greatest bond if only we had the right sensibility.

1 comment:

Dave S. said...

I'll have to take your word for the awesomeness of that discourse, as there is no way in hell I am getting out of the boat for that.

For me Connery is the best Bond, but I think that has something to do with our generation's active participation in the evolution of the Bond franchise. Someone for whom the first exposure to Bond is Craig may look at it from a different perspective. The interpretation of the material plays a major role as well, with the tone changing with each actor.

That being said, you saved the best for last and I would actually read that Will piece were it to somehow exist.