Monday, January 05, 2009

I Went to the Vermont Country Store and All I Got was This Fine Aged Blog Post

We spent the first weekend of October with friends of ours in and around Chester, Vermont. One of the many highlights was a visit to the fabled Vermont Country Store, which was packed with items of all levels of quality as well as the contents of numerous tour buses, this being the week before peak leef-peeping.

The post title is actually a misnomer as we picked up some very yummy Lemon Button Cookies, but the visit was experience enough. However, we did not see any "special" items as described here. Either they are catalog-only or we never managed to find "the shed out back." However, I did enjoy playing Rock-Em Sock-Em Robots with Bryan and table hockey with Fiona. (Because when you think of Vermont, you think of Hasbro.)

Here we are as part of an authentic Vermont tableau:



One of the family's rituals is watching the sun set from a cleared hilltop on the farm. The children amused themselves as we drank Manhattans and ate cheese and crackers:



I will end the post here to reduce the risk of never actually putting it up.

Update: I'm afraid I cannot take credit for the wonderful pictures. They were taken by our host using a very good camera.

7 comments:

EMM said...

Wow! When I thought of Vermont, I used to think of skiing and Ben N' Jerrys. Thanks to the BeanPaste link, I'm thinking muu-muus, et. al.

Welcome back Dave S., lovely post!

J. said...

I'm still pissed you didn't even CALL as you passed our exit, twice. : ( But I am gracious enough to write "What nice pictures, Dave!"

(Bummer about the items, though. Will now have to rethink our trip. Though may take a tip from EMM and go to B&J's. Ice cream. Yummy...)

Dave S. said...

On the way to Vermont we passed your exit at around 4AM; no excuse for the return trip, however. As it turns out, a surprisingly large number of people we know live along the route.

As for the "items," they were probably in there somewhere. I can picture you walking in and inquiring, in a loud voice, "Can you point me to the sex toys?" If they direct you to the Rock-Em Sock-Em Robots, call their bluff.

Finally, I should have noted in the post that the pictures were not taken by myself, but by one of our hosts, with a really nice camera and lovely weather on the assist.

Anonymous said...

The children amused themselves as we drank Manhattans and ate cheese and crackers:

You let your kids have Manhattans? All I got as a kid was beer. You're the best dad ever!

Dave P.

Dave S. said...

Happy Hour appears to have started earlier in your locale than mine. "We" drank Manhattans, not "they." Although that would have made bedtime easier. And yes, I am the best dad ever.

J. said...

I can picture you walking in and inquiring, in a loud voice, "Can you point me to the sex toys?"

Quite a reputation I have on this blog.

Still nursing a grudge... and now a cocktail...

Anonymous said...

We spent 4 days in vermont 12/20 -12/23 skiing at okemo mt. in Ludlow. On the way back we stopped for maple syrup at a store advertising "whisky, guns & ammo" on one sign and "bacon and syrup" on another. as we approached the end of rt.103 before hopping on hwy. 91, we made the stop at The Vermont Country Store as well. While doing our part to aid the Vermont economy, I did notice one peculiar item, men's underwear advertising a "marsupial pouch" style for the crotch area -- I passed. The sugar rush my teenagers recieved as a result of the store visit added extra holiday joy to the ensuing trip down to long island (our next stop).

I could have used a Manhattan, would have settled for even a Rusty Nail.

BTW, dave, great pictures. truly capture the feeling of autumn in vermont.