Monday, January 05, 2009

One Hundred Hairs Make the Man

From our friends at Lawyers, Guns and Money comes a link to this essential reference to male facial hair.

This takes me back to when I first started growing a beard, and watched part of Gettysburg in the last and possibly most squalid of JJV's bachelor pads, strategically located behind the fabled (yet all too real) Tune Inn. The movie was like a giant Beard Catalog and I found myself critiquing the various styles and wondering how each might look. A couple of years later I took a horseback ride while bearded* across part of the Gettysburg battlefield and it was quite stirring.

Somewhat sadly I lost the beard to an unrecoverable beard-trimmer error a few years back, although the increasing number of pigment-challenged hairs would have crossed a vanity threshold sooner or later. Also, I am now of an age when to be told I look twenty years younger is a gigantic ego boost, so that softened the blow.

Post title inspiration via one of my favorite 80s bands:



*not a misdemeanor in Pennsylvania at the time

4 comments:

J. said...

Have I told you recently you look, like, 20 years younger without the beard, Dave?

Btw, you could always grow a soul patch.

(And OK, I give up. Who's the band?)

Dave S. said...

You have not, but it's never too late!

I think a soul patch would look extra-hilarious on me and I Just Might Do It.

Finally, the band is Sparks. They rock.

Anonymous said...

The song is moustache .. at least according to You Tube.

My brother attends a moustache party at a NY bar once a year -- every guy comes in with a moustache and apparently the collection of styles can be quite amusing.

Perhaps we should adopt the idea for a Happy Hour or Game Day?

Anonymous said...

BTW, if your a spark's fan, Neko Case will be covering the Sparks song "Never turn your back on Mother Earth" on her CD due out in March 2009 (I read this on Bob Boilen's Facebook page. He hosts All Song's Considered on NPR and previews alot of new music)