Sunday, March 08, 2009

Ready! Go! Spirit Fingers will fix the economy!

Random thoughts on the cheerleading and economics.

"Bring it On" was on yesterday, and of course I was compelled to watch. If only I had been coordinated and could jump, etc. I would have been a cheerleader for the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals. Sadly, I was relegated to the bleachers from where I had to cheer on my sporty boyfriend.

I have a degree in economics and struggled on more than one occasion to articulate my opinions. I wrote a paper for extra credit once (and missed a good day of skiing to do so). The focus was on people being like sheep, following along based on popular opinion. Good news, yay, bad news boo. No focus, no path, just follow along without judgement. My TA gave me the full credit for the paper only because I agreed with my argument that he thought was crazy. Perhaps my upbeat, perky, positive "spirit" helped.

I agree with Ben Stein in this piece that aired on CBS Sunday Morning. Maybe if I had worn a spiffy economist hat in college, I would have been a better student.

Rah! Rah! Rah!

2 comments:

J. said...

Although I didn't attend a high school, college, or university with cheerleaders (or competitive sports teams), and am a confirmed non-conformist, contrarian and pessimist, I must say I agree with EMM and Ben Stein ("Bueller...") and am rooting wholeheartedly for the economy to recover -- soon!

I am also rooting for President Obama to succeed (unlike hater Rush), because failure is NOT an option, though I wish he had not chosen or had ditched Tim Geithner, who I think was a HUGE mistake.

(Verification word is "manoohy." I like that. "Manoohy!" "God bless you.")

EMM said...

Mahooney, hopefully not the new Magruber. SNL was not too kind to TG. I agree, he's instilled no confidence.

There is a fine line of wanting the country and economy to succeed and wanting the Rebublicans to take back the White House. The economy is in too dire a situation for it to be as petty and snarky as it is. We have plenty of time for a comeback.